Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Update so Amy doesn't get mad at me :)

Since the last post I interviewed at the University of Colorado and the University of Maryland. When I went to Colorado I stayed with a former BYU student, who is a first year med student, and his wife. They were very nice and helpful with getting me to and from the airport and my interview and allowing me to stay in their home. The school has a brand new campus outside of Denver. That's where we had our interviews, but the medical students didn't start having classes over there until January.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Maryland. I really didn't know a lot about it, but it is probably my favorite school so far. They have good facilities and the students and staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I also liked how their curriculum is set up. They have shortened the amount of time spent in lecture to allow more time for studying, and a lot of flexibility to pursue outside clinical or research interests.

The school is in Baltimore near the Inner Harbor. I flew in to BWI and stayed in a hotel just a couple blocks from the school. After my interview I drove down to Alexandria, Virginia to visit a couple friends who used to live in my ward. The family of one of my friends, Jason Blickenstaff, used to live in Amy & Heath's ward in Texas. That night we drove north of DC to see the Christmas lights on the Temple, which were extra pretty because it had been snowing all day. The next morning I visited Jim Gullotta, a friend from my mission. He lives just south of Alexandria. My flight left in the afternoon from Dulles so I didn't have to drive back up to Baltimore.

At the moment I am in the beginning of my last semester at BYU and will graduate on April 24th. Last week I was accepted to the University of Maryland, and rejected from the University of Utah. I am very excited about getting into Maryland, but would have liked having Utah as an option. I am still waiting to hear from Colorado and Baylor.

1 comment:

AmyJo said...

I am glad to see an update so I don't have to beat you up :)
Come visit soon! We miss you!